Operations Management Master Class
The Knutsford Court Hotel, Kingston, Jamaica,
5-7 June 2019
Operations management is an area of business concerned with the production of goods and services and involves the responsibility of ensuring that business operations are efficient in terms of using as little resource as needed and effective in terms of meeting customer requirements. It is concerned with managing the process that converts inputs (in the forms of materials, labour and energy) into outputs (in the form of goods and services).
To perform this function effectively, Operations Managers have a number of responsibilities, for examples:
- Aligning the operation’s strategy to the company strategy – developing a clear vision of how the operations should support the company’s long-term objectives; it also means
translating goals into implications for performance objectives in terms of quality, speed, dependability, flexibility and cost.
- Deploying the operations strategy – operations management is often characterised by the need to make decisions both frequently and quickly, so it is necessary to have a
framework to guide decision making; that is the role of operations strategy.
- Designing the company’s services and processes – in the service sector the product is often a process, the design of which, often, falls into the domain of operations
management. In manufacturing sectors processes are designed to prepare a product for market.
- Planning & controlling the operation – is the activity of deciding what the operation’s resources should be doing, then making sure they do it and as efficiently as
- Improving the performance of operations – continuous improvement is the responsibility of all operations managers with a focus on improving quality and reducing costs.
The overall aim of this course is to provide delegates with insights into the role of an operations manager, allow delegates to explore key aspects of operations management and help them improve their impact as an operations manager.
Certificate of Attendance
On successful completion of this course you will be awarded two certificates:
- CPD Certificate: this certificate is awarded to acknowledge that you have engaged in a programme of continuous professional development by attending a CPD-Certified
programme of training. The certificate, signed by the Trainer, provides evidence that attendance on the course qualifies you for 24 CPD credits.
- Neoedge Certificate of Attendance: you will also receive a Certificate of Attendance bearing the signatures from both the Trainer and the Organizer. This Certificate
will testify your endeavour and serve towards your professional advancement.
Administration, introduction, course objectives & methodology
- Exercise: what is operations management?
The Strategic Role of Operations Management
- Exercise: simulating a business process;
The Toyota Production System
- The three pillars of the Toyota Production System:
- Just in Time(JIT)
- Exercise: Calculating Takt time;
- Culture – the critical role of organisational culture(JIT)
- Exercises: SIPOC mapping, Process Sequence mapping, Spaghetti mapping and Value stream mapping;
A System for Workplace Organisation
- Exercise: developing a product and creating a process to build it;
Action planning: exploring how to transfer learning to workplace
Quality Planning and Control
- Exercise: how to calculate standard deviation;
- Review of Exercise;
- Introduction to the Case Study company;
- Deploying control charts to monitor business processes in the Case Study company;
- Data collection and sampling tools;
- Exercise: constructing a control chart using data from the Case Study company;
- Feedback systems to inform improvement activities;
- Establishing improvement priorities;
- Exercise: deploying tools and techniques to deliver business improvement;
- Review of Exercise
Action planning: explore how to transfer learning to the workplace
Capacity Planning and Control
Inventory Planning and Control
Supply Chain Planning and Control
- The activities of supply chain management
- Types of relationships in supply chains
- Supply chain behaviour
The Human Side of Operations Management
- Understanding the drivers of performance;
- The purpose of Performance Appraisal;
- The key to motivating people at work;
- Exploring alternative approaches to people management;
- How to manage culture, commitment, competence and productivity of the operations team
Job Design and Work Organisation
Action planning: transfer learning to the workplace
A pre-course questionnaire will be sent to you some days before the course through which you can raise your specific areas of interest. The course facilitator will review and analyze these in advance and address them during the course, seeking to satisfy your learning needs.
About Your Expert Trainer
Award Winning General Manager
Alan Power is an international corporate management trainer and consultant with over 30 years experience working in the UK service sector. He has a passion for operation excellence and is an expert in developing and deploying business improvement strategies including Lean and Six Sigma.
In the early years of his career he was a highly successful corporate trainer who led several initiatives to establish world-class corporate training capabilities for his employers. Today, he is able to draw on that experience when designing, developing and delivering corporate training programmes for his international clients.
Later in his career he became an advocate of Quality Management and, as a consequence, led a number of initiatives to introduce quality management strategies for his employer. This interest resulted in his appointment to a role as General Manager for a banking division, an appointment he used to demonstrate the many business benefits of adopting quality management and operation excellence strategies. His experience during this time forms the foundation of the case studies he uses today to illustrate quality management and operation excellence strategies during his training programmes. The success of his approach was demonstrated when the division he led won several awards, including:
- The Digital Quality Award (1993)
- The Quality Scotland Prize for Business Excellence (1994)
- The Quality Scotland Award for Business Excellence (1996)
Alan’s final appointment in his corporate sector career was as Head of Quality Policy & Strategy, a head office role that gave him responsibility for deploying Business Excellence strategies throughout an organisation that employed over 86,000 staff. During this period he launched initiatives that today have resulted in his ex-employer becoming one of the leading practitioners of Lean Six Sigma in the UK.
In 2003 Alan set up his own management consultancy, MPOWER (UK) Ltd. offering training and consultancy in Service Excellence, Lean Operations and Six Sigma, in the UK, the Middle East and further afield.
It is not only for operations managers or factory managers who run operations; it is for all managers in all sectors run some form of operation, for example: a finance manager’s operation processes invoices and other financial transactions, an HR manager’s operation processes recruitment, so if you are responsible for the management of processes then you are an operations manager.
It is designed for all managers: senior, middle, first line and supervisors in all sectors including: manufacturing, financial services, health services, government departments, etc.
By the end of the programme delegates will be able to:
- Explain the purpose of operations management and how to align operations management strategies with the organisation’s strategy (Operational Excellence)
- Outline the approach for aligning the operation to meet the needs and expectations of the customer both internal and external (Service Excellence)
- Demonstrate an ability to use a number of tools and techniques to improve the performance of key business processes (Process Excellence)
- Describe a number of approaches to improve the effectiveness of the human resource (Performance Excellence)
- Outline alternative organisational structures to deliver improved customer service while delivering greater efficiencies (Organisational Excellence)
It is our intention to give you an opportunity to understand the nature and best practice of operations management. To do so we will present you with a range of learning experiences including presentations, case studies, exercises and simulations.
Certificate of Attendance
On successful completion of this course you will be awarded two certificates:
- CPD Certificate: this certificate is awarded to acknowledge that you have engaged in a programme of continuous professional development by attending a CPD-Certified programme of training. The certificate, signed by the Trainer, provides evidence that attendance on the course qualifies you for 24 CPD credits.
- Neoedge Certificate of Attendance: you will also receive a Certificate of Attendance bearing the signatures from both the Trainer and the Organizer. This Certificate will testify your endeavour and serve towards your professional advancement.
In Partnership With
Oxford Business Group (OBG) is a global publishing, research and consultancy firm, which publishes economic intelligence on the markets of Latin America, the Middle East, Asia, and Africa.
OBG offers comprehensive analysis of macroeconomic and sectoral developments, including banking, capital markets, energy, infrastructure, industry and insurance.
OBG’s acclaimed economic and business reports are the leading source of local and regional intelligence, while OBG’s online economic briefings provide up-to-date in-depth analysis. OBG’s consultancy arm offers tailor-made market intelligence and advice to firms operating in these markets and those looking to enter them.
MCLI was established in 2004 by infrastructure investors, users and service providers on the Maputo Corridor to address constraints hindering freight movement and to market the viability of the corridor for regional trade. Its partnership of public and private sector members and proactive role has resulted in visibility, credibility and acknowledgement as a model corridor management institution.
Resulting from investment in key infrastructure, the corridor has been a powerful instrument of regional and economic integration; with over $5billion invested in the region since its inception, resultant capital flow has provided sustained economic growth on the corridor in recent years.
Inherent to MCLI’s success is its leveraging of relationships at the highest level to pursue its vision of a cost effective, reliable logistics route. www.mcli.co.za
CrowdReviews.com is a transparent online platform for determining which products and services are the best based on the opinion of the crowd. The crowd consists of Internet users which have experienced products and services first-hand and have an interest in letting other potential buyers their thoughts on their experience. CrowdReviews.com is driven by an algorithm allowing for both customers and providers of products and services to understand how the rankings are determined. The service can be used by potential buyers to learn more about their vendors prior to making a purchasing decision
Voicesofleaders is a global business network for top executives and companies to Meet, Share and Grow.
We empower entrepreneurs, sme’s and large businesses to succeed by providing customized business profiles by building brand reputation, boosting business potential while increasing business networking among members of VL leaders network.
The customized Business profiles allow you to: Meet top executives across a wide variety of industries, sectors and countries. Share, your business needs among members looking for specific business opportunities Grow your business network at a local and international level while increasing the possibility of creating synergies, finding partners and investors.
Proudly African is an initiative of Global Village Africa which is a marketing and business platform geared towards showcasing and harmonising Africa’s development, trade and cultural diversity to a global audience.
This is where the BEST OF AFRICA in business, government and non-profit organisations unite, promoting their vision and best practice in order to find the right customers, partnerships and joint ventures – in order to grow alongside the continent’s indisputable economic potential.
The initiative has an unstoppable magnetic presence with its ever growing country and sectoral window already in over 20 African states. We invite all leaders in business and government across Africa to showcase and integrate their visions and activities so as to promote inter-Africa trade, investment and technology transfer from around the globe
The www.gvpedia.com site was launched in 2008 so the success stories from the Best of the World print publications could all feature on an online platform. We have more than 5000 pages live and growing fast. In July 2009 we launched a partnership programme and an eBook library to GVPedia which has opened up the scope for new publishing partnerships beyond the ‘Best of Series’ with complementary books and magazines that focus on travel and business from around the world.
The Partnerships Bulletin, PPP Bulletin and P3 Bulletin are a series of magazines and websites providing in-depth updates on partnership working between the public and private sector to procure, build and manage public infrastructure.
Each hard-copy edition of P3 Bulletin (Americas) and Partnerships Bulletin (UK) includes news, interviews with the top industry figures, in-depth market reports on partnership sectors and industry authored articles covering transport, waste, education, healthcare, housing, courts and leisure. Plus, the magazine includes a Business Leads section – giving you information about projects before they are even advertised.
Subscription to all three websites also gives you unlimited access to constantly updated news stories, features and searchable Project Tracker.
The websites and magazines are essential reading for industry professionals to help them make informed decisions and remain at the cutting edge of partnerships and infrastructure business information.
Africa Investor (Ai) is a specialist investment communications firm advising governments, international organisations and businesses on communication strategies for capital market and foreign direct investments in Africa. Africa investor publishes Africa investor, the leading international newsstand magazine for Africa’s investment decision makers; maintains the Ai40 Investors’ Index, hosts the Ai Institutional Investment Summit & Awards, Ai Investment Climate Summit and Investments and Business Leader Awards and the Ai Infrastructure Investment Summit & Awards, among other events.
Animus provides an overview of Sustainability activities in Africa and the direction that has been taken by most companies. The magazine uses the CSR analysis approach to validate the sustainability of various projects underway at any stage of implementation. We provide the much needed platform for sharing best practice with a growing sustainability network. www.animus-csr.com
Africa Monitor is internationally recognised as providing essential information for anyone doing business in, or with Africa. The publication provides subscribers with systematic political risk assessment, economic forecasts and business analysis for every country across the region.
Published by Business Monitor International, the emerging market specialists, Africa Monitor is broken down into four sub regional publications, of which any combination can be subscribed to. The Middle East and Africa Monitor website http://www.meamonitor.com/ includes ALL the content from the publications, a 24-month archive, and gives the added flexibility of exploring that content by country, topic or keyword.
Our publications are subscribed to by over 50% of the Global Fortune 500 companies. Why not take the time to find out why? Click here to visit http://www.meamonitor.com/ for a FREE trial, or call Tel: +44 (0) 20 7246 1403.
Live Trading News is constantly updated to bring you top market news from around the world. It is produced by dedicated staff in Hong Kong working with colleagues in Asia and the United States. We also handpick articles from the world’s top market blogs, money managers, financial experts and investment newsletters.
Live Trading news gives voice to our readers, providing access to the most savvy and experienced investors.
Our site is a free, online source for stock quotes and research. Live Trading News differs from other finance sites because we focus on what, when, and how. What to buy, when to buy it and how to trade it. We deliver opinion and analysis rather than just all news, written exclusively by other investors and traders who describe their personal approach to stock selection and portfolio management, rather than by journalists. Live Trading News features the latest multimedia technologies from online digital magazines to searchable archives of news features and background information.
Clocate.com is a leading search engine and directory for worldwide conferences and exhibitions.
For a copy of the FULL AGENDA, please send email to: email@example.com
Or please call us at Tel: +65 6282 7082
The course fee does not include accommodation or travel costs. It is recommended to book the hotel rooms early as there are only limited rooms available at discounted rate. Kindly contact the following for reservation:
The Knutsford Court Hotel
t: +1 876-929-1000
f: +1 876-920-2224
16 Chelsea Avenue, Kingston 5,
Please quote “Operations Management Master Class organised by Neoedge Pte Ltd” when reserving a room for your stay at the hotel.